During the months of January and February 2020, the Magellan Charter School will offer campus tours
for the parents and guardians of prospective students.
Click to schedule a tour.
Please read the following information concerning our policy and procedures.
The Magellan Charter School
Magellan Charter is no longer accepting applications for the school year 2020-2021.
Thank you for your interest.
- The open enrollment for The Magellan Charter School is a minimum of 30 days during the months of January and February. Applications may be submitted online at www.magellancharter.org. Applications forms are available by request.
- Each year, the school will set a total enrollment number that will be no less than 400 and no greater than 408.
- The Magellan Charter School admits students without regard to race, sex, disability, color, religion, national or ethnic origin.
- The date and time of the lottery is posted on the school website.
- A survey is conducted in January to determine families’ intent to return or enroll siblings for the upcoming year.
- In order to participate in the lottery, the applicant must be a current resident of North Carolina.
- All completed applications must be filled out online or mailed to the office in the time period specified on the application. An auto reply stating the application has been received is sent immediately upon receipt of the online application.
- All applications for the coming school year are assigned a lottery identification number which is e-mailed to the applicant.
- Priority enrollment is given to children of full-time teachers and the administrator, returning opportunity students and siblings of currently enrolled students. Sibling lotteries will be conducted in grades 4-8 in order to establish a waitlist when numbers exceed grade level capacity.
- Slots are filled first by students with priority status.
- The number of remaining slots in the grade level is determined by the number of priority status students.
- When applying for third grade and there is more than one child in the family, you may choose one lottery number to be entered into the lottery for all the siblings applying. If this number is drawn, all applying siblings will be admitted to the extent space is available.
- Multiple birth siblings are assigned one number for the lottery. If the number is selected, all multiple birth siblings will be admitted.
- An electronic randomization method will generate the order of acceptance during the lottery.
- The lottery is conducted by a board member, administrator, and no less than two staff members.
- Results of the lottery are posted on the school’s website and notification e-mails for those accepted and waitlisted are sent to the families upon completion of the lottery.
- Acceptance of Offer of Enrollment – Parents/Guardians have a minimum of one week to make a determination to accept an offer of enrollment unless the offer is made between August 1st and the 30th day of school. In which case, parents/guardians have 24 hours to make a decision.
In accordance with NCGS §115.C-218.45(f), The Magellan Charter School has elected to offer enrollment priority in the following order to the extent that space is available and does not exceed the grade level capacity:
- Children of a full-time teacher or administrator;
- Former students who were enrolled within the last two academic years but left due to an academic study abroad program, competitive admission residential program, or vocational opportunities of the parents/guardians;
- Siblings of currently enrolled students;
- 3rd-grade siblings of students who have graduated from 8th-grade and were enrolled for at least four years;
- Siblings in families of newly accepted 3rd-grade students who are admitted at the time of the lottery*;
- 4th through 8th-grade siblings of students who have graduated from 8th-grade and were enrolled for at least four years.
*Enrollment priority will be given the following school year to siblings of newly accepted 3rd through 8th-grade students admitted after the lottery (to the extent space is available).
Criteria to attend The Magellan Charter School
- Successful completion of the previous grade level
- Resident of North Carolina
- May not be currently suspended or expelled from another school or school system