The Magellan Charter School Admissions Policy
The open enrollment dates for The Magellan Charter School will be January 30,2017 - February 28, 2017.
Thank you for your interest.
• Each year, the school will set a total enrollment number that will be no less than 400 and no greater than 408.
• The Magellan Charter School admits students without regard to race, sex, disability, color, religion, national or ethnic origin.
• The lottery is open to the public and will be held in March or April, at the school.
• The date and time of the lottery is posted on the school website.
• A survey is conducted in early January to determine families’ intent to return or enroll siblings for the upcoming year.•
• In order to participate in the lottery, applications must be completed online in the time period specified.
• All applications for the coming school year are assigned a lottery identification number which is e-mailed to the applicant.
• Corresponding lottery numbers are printed onto cards and segregated by grade level.
• Slots are filled first by exempt candidates (siblings, staff children). The number of open slots is determined.
• All numbers are drawn to establish acceptances and waiting lists for each grade level
• The lottery is conducted by a board member, administrator, and three staff members.
• Lottery results are posted on the school's website within 24 hours of the lottery.
• Notification e-mails for those accepted and waitlisted are sent to the families after the lottery.
• Acceptance of Offer of Enrollment - Parents have one full week to make a determination to accept an offer of enrollment unless the offer is made between August 1st and the 30th day of school.
Criteria to attend The Magellan Charter School
• Successful completion of second grade
• Resident of North Carolina
• May not be currently suspended or expelled from another school or school system
Enrollment priority will be given in the following order and to the extent that space is available and does not exceed the grade level capacity.
1. Enrollment priority shall be given to children of full time employees.
2. Enrollment priority shall be given to a former student who is enrolled within the last two academic years but left due to an academic study abroad program, competitive admission residential program, or vocational opportunities of the parents.
Sibling and Legacy
3. Enrollment priority shall be given to siblings of currently enrolled students and 3rd grade siblings of students who have graduated from 8th grade and were enrolled for at least four years. Sibling lotteries will be conducted in grades 4-8 in order to establish a waitlist when numbers exceed grade level capacity.
4. Enrollment priority shall be given to all siblings in families of newly accepted 3rd grade students who are admitted at the time of the lottery. Priority will be given the following school year to siblings of newly accepted 3rd through 8th grade students admitted after the lottery (to the extent space is available).
5. Enrollment priority shall be given to 4th through 8th grade siblings of students who have graduated from 8th grade and were enrolled for at least four years (to the extent space is available)