A Typical Fifth Grader
Where They Are
The average ten-year-old has a positive approach to life. She:
Where They're Going
- Tends to be obedient, good natured, and fun.
- Possesses a surprising scope of interests.
- Finds TV very important and identifies with TV characters.
- Is capable of increasing independence.
- Is becoming more truthful and dependable.
- Tends to be improving her self-concept and acceptance of others.
- Forms good personal relationships with teachers and counselors.
At ten years old, your child is developing communication skills and becoming more mature. You can help by encouraging him as he:
Source: American School Counselor
- Improves his listening and responding skills.
- Increases his problem-solving abilities.
- Begins to undergo maturational changes.
- Gains awareness of peer and adult expectations.
Classroom Guidance Topics: