6th Grade Language Arts Teacher
The Magellan Charter School
6th Grade Language Arts Teacher Job Description
The 6th grade language arts teacher, under the direction of the administrator, and in collaboration with grade level and other language arts teachers will create an effective classroom environment that is favorable to learning and personal growth; plan and make instructional decisions based on student needs and learning outcomes; provide experiential, collaborative, and hands-on learning opportunities that are challenging and engaging for every student; motivate students to become lifelong learners; establish an effective rapport with students by teaching mutual respect, along with social and personal responsibility; promote the communication and life skills needed to be successful leaders in our global community.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- teaching reading, writing and grammar using an interdisciplinary approach whenever possible and appropriate.
- understanding, teaching and enriching the NCSCOS.
- developing effective lesson plans and instructional materials.
- providing personalized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- using a variety of creative instructional strategies, such as inquiry, small group discussion, workstations, flipped classroom, project based, problem based, etc…
- establishing and maintaining standards of student behavior necessary in achieving an effective learning atmosphere.
- using both formative and summative assessment strategies to evaluate students’ academic growth.
- keeping appropriate/accurate records and preparing progress reports.
- communicating with parents through conferences and other means to discuss students’ progress.
- continually seeking opportunities to grow professionally through in-service education activities.
- performing other duties as assigned by the administrator.
Basic Qualifications Required:
- Valid teaching credentials or degree in subject area
- Experience teaching middle school language arts preferred
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
- Strong knowledge of language arts curriculum
- Knowledge of assessment strategies
- Strong knowledge of research/evidence based language arts instructional practices and programs
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
Magellan applications for employment are located on our website: www.magellancharter.org (Click on “Our School,” then “Employment Opportunities”). Applications and resumes must be submitted no later than Friday, May 25, 2018. They may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Magellan Charter School does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, or handicap in any of its educational or employment programs or activities. We are an “equal opportunity employer.”